Saturday, July 11, 2009

Being a MOM

The last few weeks, I had begun to really question why I ever signed up for this "mom" job. Life was begining to become overwhelming and I really did want to quit. But yet again, by the grace of God, I pushed through and I think things are starting to look up. I guess I never really thought about the "how to" of parenting, past the infant stage, but MAN, it sure is challenging! I love my kids so much and I was beginning to think that the way that I was parenting was not helping them. I never really thought about why I parent the way I do. So I started reading "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp and I have been so uplifted. It is very convicting and inspiring! So, on to a new chapter of discipline. Proverbs 23:14 says "Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death". Well, that is what I was doing. When they disobeyed, we would "punish with the rod". But after...let's see....over 2 years of doing this, I was beginning to wonder why we STILL have to spank over the same issues over and over and over again. Proverbs 29:15, 17 says "The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother. Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul". YES, this is what I wanted...PEACE. I felt like my life was a mess, I had no control over my children, and I was losing the battle. Hebrews 12:11 says "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteouusness and peace for those who have been trained by it". OK, so it says that if we discipline, there will be peace. So what was wrong? I had to check my motive. I guess I never really thought more about it and when I did, I was convicted. We don't discipline so that our children respond right away. We don't discipline so we look good to others. We don't discipline so it's convienent for us. We discipline because we are commanded to by God. Honestly, I had never thought about that. I just did it because I knew it was my job. Well, we are to do it with the right heart, and for the purpose of training our children to obey authority...God. When they obey us, they obey God. We are to train them when they are young, so that when they grow up, they will follow the Lord. So for the last few days, there has been a different atmosphere in our home. What a blessing it has been. The sad part of this whole thing is that I see how sinful I am! But I need God's saving grace as much as they do! I know it's a daily battle for me to have a gentle and quiet spirit, but oh how I pray for that! God has been so faithful to me, and I know that I am following his will for my life.....this high calling...my job....being a MOM.


1 comment:

  1. First of all, congratulations on starting a blog! How neat:)

    Second of all, thank you for allowing me to be part of your "written world".

    Third of all, you are a wonderful wife, mother, sister and friend!

    Fourth of all, I was encouraged by "Shepherding a Child's Heart", too. David and I took this class at our church in Grosse Pointe when I was pregnant with Tessa, and learned so much about God's patience and love to us and His example for parenting.

    Fifth of all, and the last one for now :), be encouraged and persevere in the Lord and in the truth of His Word. He will give you peace, strength and joy in His amazing ways and perfect timing...

    T.I.
    Rox:)

    ReplyDelete